July 16, 2007

Luke 2:19

Don't you hate it when Catholics start quoting Bible verses? Seriously you are like, man I don't know what Luke 2:19 can't you just tell me.... well it's a good one and you will soon have it memorized by the end of the post. "Mary kept all things, pondering them in her heart."

Last week on Thursday I had the great privilege of going to breakfast with a few women from my parish. It was wonderful to sit there and watch them. What can I say I am people watcher. Ever once in a while I would put my two cents in. The conversation somehow turned to prayer. One lady said, you know I don't pray to change the result, I pray so I can have a peace of mind. It's so true, God knows, we pray for His will, so why pray for a change, pray to able to accept God's will, pray to have a peace in knowing we are His children and He loves us.

I said, "the bad thing about prayer, is you have to keep at it because if you take a break and start praying again you soon realize you aren't praying anymore you are rather day dreaming." The all agreed. How can you not. It happens to all of us. I know for a fact it has been a real struggle to get my prayer in. I am present, but my mind and heart are not in there for some reason. Mary had it down. She kept all things in her heart, you know she was really good at pray. She had to be. For goodness sakes she bore the Son of God, our Savior.

After breakfast I got in the car and a song from this new cd I was given started. Mother Mary by The Remnant Band. They are a Catholic band from Texas and its refreshing to hear songs about our rich faith. The lyrics just blew me away..

I know it's hard sometimes to pray
Just can't think of the words you want to say
You're down on your knees; there aint't no doubt
But I know a girl who can help me out....

I ask my Mother Mary / to help me out

The song continued...I knew at that very instant, our Mother Mary wanted me to come close to her, so I can learn how to pray to her son again. She has her arms open, and I cannot say it enough, she is the first follower of Christ, how can we not follow her. Luke 2:19. How many times we do ponder things, but do we ponder them in our heart or do we ponder them out of selfishness, envy, greed, jealous? I know I am guilty of them all. We need to do more of this, to be honest, I have the sudden huge to stop typing and go pray from my heart.

So today is the feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. For all those brown scapular lovers out there, it's your day. It's a perfect day for you to ask the intercession of Mary. Ponder from the heart.


0 comments: