September 04, 2008

JFA: Yes, I participated.


During my first FOCUS Staff Training, an organization came to teach the FOCUS staff members on how to have healthy conversations about abortion. They are called Justice for All, in short, JFA. I didn't feel called to go around the streets of Madison, WI to ask citizens their thoughts on abortion, so took the afternoon for prayer and personal reflection.

However, it was brought to my attention two weeks ago that they will be showing their exhibit at KU (University of Kansas) and we will be attending the training session once more, but this time I will participate. I was a little hesitate at first. Thinking to myself, who am I to go out and talk to my peers about abortion. But again lives are being lost each and every day.

Needless to say ther was a young man there from the early beginning who had a sign. He was actively protesting against the exhibit and screaming things here and there. As trained individuals, some would try to have some sort of conversation, but it was useless. I myself, tried to prove a point to this young women on the issue of dependency of the child to the mother.

I began a conversation with a young women, "Let's say you are the only one near the swimming pool and a three-year jumps, but cannot swim and needs you to save him/her. Wouldn't you say that this three-year old is dependent on solely you to save his/her life?" "Yes, but I would let the child die," said this young women. I was in shock and couldn't believe this women wouldn't save a child. Just to prove her point that a baby is dependent on a mother. The conversation ended and I said a prayer for this women.

As the hours passed and had tried to have conversations will students passing by, it was time to start again. I knew it coudldn't be any worse than the lady who would let a child die, so I asked the young man who had been protesting all day. "I said, hey why did you write that on the board." He continued on and I listened. I listen for the next 30 to 40 minutes talk about his life. At the end, I am certain I didn't change his view point on anything, but he did say something to me that I will always remember, "Thank you for listening, you are the best pro-lifer, I have ever met."

I have never considered myself so one of many words or huge advocate of this or that, I just live my self in the way I see the Lord finds fit. My advice, don't try to do change people, but try to listen and be the sincere heart they have been waiting for. I pray this young man daily, I ask you to do the same as well.

0 comments: