January 01, 2007

A little bit of love...

So being Cuban, well not really just growing up in my household we have lots of customs in ringing in the new year. I decided this year I would try a few of them out and see what happens. But in everything you do in life, its the effort you put into it. If you put a lot of effort, you will get more out of it. To say the least, I woke up in a great mood. I haven't woken up like that for a long time, and slept so well.

I knew the first thing I wanted to do was go to Church. Yeah that's right Church. It's tradition that the first of the year is the feast of the Mother of God, Mary.

As the last two Gospel readings have addressed, Mary saw and kept everything in her heart. She knew what was happening, but kept things in her heart. The heart we cry out as immaculate and sorrowful. The same heart that felt the beauty of the birth of the world's saviour and the agony of His death.

Our Mother, the Mother of God, is constantly asking us for a little Peace in this world and I wouldn't agree more. But not in the way we always think of peace, as in world peace, but also in our very homes. The family is the domestic church. The family is the place where peace should begin. Like the song goes, "Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."

Our family began the year in such that fashion. We enjoyed the day with each other. We didn't go out, but rather ate a few left-overs from the week before, had a good laugh, enjoyed time with my grandmothers, and played a fun and intense game of dominoes.

So next time you feel you need to create world peace, look at your homes and create some peace there. Remember you can always ask Mary for a little help.

0 comments: