March 14, 2007

Give me back my boyfriend? What?


Last night I had the great opportunity to spend some quality time with the female missionaries at UMKC. Spending a little less than 24 hours with these young ladies, I realized how different each FOCUS team functions. I am grateful and yet at the same time truly sad. We had a relaxing evening with some dinner, movie and board game. What 23 year old doesn't think this is would be fun?

The favorite part of the evening is when one of the missionaries wanted to play a 1988 board game, Sweet Valley High. I remember a friend used to own this and we would play once in a while, but while we were playing last night it was a little scary. I googled the game and found this description: "Players move around the game board trying to find their boyfriends and the items they need for their date. Various spaces on the board and card draws cause random effects to shake things up." [http://www.boardgamegeek.com]

The funniest part of the game is you can switch boyfriends. So the whole night consisted of who's boyfriends was the cutest and stealing each other's boyfriends. You can only win if you had all your items for your perfect date and your correct boyfriend. I personally just wanted to get my bicycle, it took such a long time to find it. Finally in the middle of the game, one of the missionaries said, "This is why our culture is so messed up." I kept thinking to myself someone should make a Catholic version of this game, it would so funny.

I wonder if back in 1988 when they were coming back with the concept of this game, that this game would soon turn into a reality. Even a simple board game made humans look like objects. I am not saying we should not play this game because I had a blast especially when we all did side pony tails, but just something to think about.

0 comments: